Wednesday, December 23, 2009

School violence is one reason to homeschool

Just yesterday I responded to an anti-homeschooling article and gave school violence as just one of my many reasons that some people choose homeschooling over public school. I really hate to add another log onto the fire but today I read about 13 year old David Muneton from New Jersey. He was savagely attacked by fellow students on his way home from school stemming from a misunderstood incident that occurred. Eleven students are believed to be involved. David has several broken facial bones and had to have surgery. His eyesight is in jeopardy as well. The youngest student involved in this horrific and violent incident is just 12 years old.
This particular story does not represent every public school in all fifty states just as the occasional incident of a parent who claims to be a homeschooler and chains their child to their bed does not represent the legions of homeschoolers who do truly embody the spirit of home education.
It is stories such as these and also the ones about teacher sex scandals, gangs, bullying, dropping test scores etcetera that make me glad that I homeschool and thankful that I have to choice to do so. It isn't for everyone but I believe it is a right that should be preserved and defended.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Oh, how I agree with you. That was one reason why we pulled our children from the public school. Luke was bullied by older children. We really prayed for this decision. I would never change my mind, I love having my kids home with me. I am sorry to hear about this your boy. I hope that he will recover and I will be praying for him. Thanks for this, it just keeps re-enforcing my decision. Tanya

Hanley Family said...

It is actually one of the main reasons parents choose to homeschool. It makes me sad. I love homeschooling, but I don't think families should be forced to it for the physical safety of their children!